Friday, October 04, 2013

Falling

Fall. I love it. By this time of year, I welcome it. I have to admit that I become tired of beach days, and BBQ's and start looking forward to cozy nights (and days!) by the fireplace reading while the rain taps on the windows. There is something so comforting about nesting inside, enjoying the warm comforts of home, while the world outside rages on. 

This is when my relationship with Netflix becomes more serious. We go from being casual to dating very steadily. What did we do before Netflix? I am so over cable I have no idea why anyone pays for that ever. Advertisements?! LAME! How can you watch your tv show with all that constant interruption? I am not used to it and when I find myself in a hotel that doesn't offer free wi-fi or movies, and I'm forced to watch television, I become somewhat enraged at not only the sheer amount of ad breaks over the course of a show, but how many times the SAME AD is shown. Get away from my eyes and ears!

Netflix (US) may not have it all, but it's worth $7.99 a month for it's television series and documentaries alone. Sure the movie selection kind of sucks for someone like me, a movie fanatic. I have a hard time finding a movie I actually haven't seen or want to see. This task becomes even harder when it's both James and I trying to decide on a movie. So sure, the movie selection stinks, but being able to watch 3 or 4 episodes of Breaking Bad in a row is priceless. PRICELESS. No late fees, no having to walk anywhere, just the endless spiral of Netflix at your fingertips. 

I wonder what will come next in the world of instant entertainment? Brands like HULU have tried to take over from Netlix to no avail, but it's only a matter of time before a mighty competitor will arise, or the brand itself will have to transform to stay fresh. Humans have A.D.D and if a brand doesn't adapt, it's a steady decline.

For now, I'll do my best to keep them in business. Sorry, Pic-a-Flic. I try to divide my money between the convenience of Apple TV and small business, but renting on Apple is so much easier and I have 48 hours and no late fees. I'm an asshole, and I know it.

Since it's not healthy to stare at a screen for too long, I've joined a book club. Where, I guess I technically still stare at a screen because I read my books on my Kindle App on my iPad. Dammit! Foiled again. 

I was invited to join this book club by my friend Kate, who I have known since I was 3. We lost touch in high school (she went to a different school and I met my future husband so therefore had no time for anyone else, as all lame 15 year olds are want to do), but have reconnected in recent years. We grab dinner from time to time, and we've had a games night with her and her partner. And now, she's invited me to her book club!

This is awesome because a) I get to make new friends. Not that I don't LOVE my friends, but it's nice to branch out. b) I get to read! And be a part of a book club that actually reads books! Unlike my failed book club where I invited way too many people to join, and less than half of us would actually read the books, so it became more like wine and gossip club. This is all well and good, but totally defeated the purpose because every other get together was like wine and gossip club, so I found it frustrating because I actually wanted to spend at least 20 goddamn minutes talking about the book. However, I am proud to recall that we successfully read The Book Thief, The Cellist, and Water for Elephants before deciding that 50% of my girlfriends are incapable of reading a book a month, the illiterate hussies.

In my new awesome book club, we're currently reading The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro. I have read another of her books, The Flirt, which was part of the ever growing collection of stray books at the cabin, and I enjoyed it because it was easy to get into and fun. I don't want to read something strenuous - ain't nobody got time for that! I need my literature to be escape and I need to not want to put it down. The Perfume Collector is just that. I am loving it and looking forward to Book Club on the 24th. Where I am sure there will be wine. Which is totally fine as well, so long as we can spend a little time discussing the book at hand. 

October and November are booking up for me - I have nary a free weekend, aside from the one that lays before me now. I'm heading to Tie Lake for Thanksgiving with my brother, to say a last farewell to my ailing grandfather, who is not doing so hot at 95 years old. I'm slated for a trip to Toronto in the near future for work. We've got a long weekend in Tofino, and a week in Mexico to look forward to. Before you know it, it will be Christmas, which seems surreal and far off but not too far off for me to be selling Christmas stock to my clients. That's right kids, September is the new December. 

Okay, gotta go. Bye 






2 comments:

  1. The illiterate hussies. lol I can happily say I read two of those books and enjoyed some aspects of that club! New book club with less people; much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I enjoyed it regardless of the low number of girls who could manage to read a book a month. I find that's asking a bit much in this modern day and age ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...