Monday, January 27, 2014

Baby Skelator




Today I had my 20 week ultrasound - the anatomy scan. I am 19 weeks and 6 days.

In the days leading up to the exam, I was feeling a little bit anxious. I have not really felt the baby move much (or at all? I can't be 100% sure that the tapping sensations I have felt a couple of times are actually my baby or my overactive bowels), so I was of course wondering if my baby was okay. Did it disappear? Would there be a heartbeat? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

As I was in the waiting room, with my impossibly full bladder, a couple left and she was crying. CRYING. And all I could think about was "dead baby". OH MY GOD. It happens to people. But hopefully not twice in one day at the same clinic??? Dear mother of God. Stop thinking about that!

So imagine my relief when lo and behold, my little baby was still in there, waving its arms in the air like it just don't care, and kicking its legs, and generally just being super squirmy and wiggly and moving around like a crazy mofo. Heartbeat 147. Two legs, two arms, two kidneys, 4 chambers in the heart, a head that looks and measures normally, along with everything else measuring normally. NORMAL IS AWESOME. I felt total relief. Almost as much relief as when they finally let me pee.

It turns out that I have an anterior placenta (closer to my abdomen than to my spine), which means it will be harder to feel the baby move. So that explains that. And my research tells me that this won't likely cause any problems, unless it's ALSO a low lying placenta, which I don't think it is. In any case, all things can be dealt with. So, great stuff.

We got some good pictures of Skelator from the profile view (cute!), and some ones of hands and arms, and tummy tums. We asked not to reveal the sex to us today, so while they could see it and recorded it for my doctor, they didn't spend too much time in that region (as far as we could tell), but James and I both swore we saw a peen. It could have been an arm though. Or the chord. Who. Knows.

The guessing game continues! I'm still on Team Let's Find Out Now, so the plan is still to get the doctor to write it and seal it and then maybe we will open it together on Valentine's Day, if we can wait that long. Or maybe James will have new resolve to not find out and I will have to live with my decision to "leave it up to him" for another 20 weeks. While I am DYING to know, I also know we will find out sooner or later, so it's only a matter of time. It's not like it changes anything, but it would be nice to really focus on some names. The name game is a tough one.

Englebert? Fitz? Mario?



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...